It’s soup week in the Hungry Southern Belle house and we have yet again another winner! Riche and I LOVE Indian food and are always looking for new recipes to try at the house so we don’t always have to order take out or go out to dinner. One of our favorites is the Mulligatawny Soup. When I saw this recipe on the barre3 site, I knew we had to try it. I’m so glad that I did! The flavors all blended perfectly! I added some crushed red pepper to bring up the heat level and the cilantro added at the end was the perfect garnish to the fresh lemon juice added at the end! Enjoy y’all!
Lemon Lentil Soup
(Serves 8 – recipe courtesy of barre3)
3 medium onions, finely chopped
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
4 stalks celery, finely chopped
1-2 carrots, finely chopped
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 heaping tsp ground cloves
1-1/2 heaping tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp turmeric
2 cups red lentils, washed and drained
7 cups water or vegetable stock
2 bay leaves
1 inch lemon zest, cut into thin strips, about 4 pieces
3/4 cup lemon juice (plus more to taste!)
1-1/2-2 tsp sea salt
1/2 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, and sauté the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground cloves, cumin, and turmeric, and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the lentils, water/stock, bay leaves, and lemon zest strips.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the lentils are tender but not mushy.
- Add the lemon juice and sea salt. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.