Sup y’all, this is Riche and I have to say this drink is as refreshing as a MoonPie. I’m quite the lover of fine rums, which I consider the original American liquor.
Reasons why rum is awesome:
- It really is America’s first liquor. Peeps back in the days were making rum like it was moonshine. Rum is distilled from fermented sugar cane or molasses. Back then they didn’t have the restricted big-business-government crap we have today, so sugar was easily available and cheap. This is also the reason why U.S. Coke is made from corn syrup unlike Mexico which uses sugar. read more about the government’s cartel-like control of the US sugar market
- In the 1700’s, Boston was full of rum distilleries. Some historian believe that the British Sugar Act of 1764 was one of the main causes of American Revolution, not a tax on tea. You see, when you tax sugar, you also tax rum because it is made by sugar. This made the Americans “bout it, bout it” if you will.
- The Brits loved their rum too. The Royal Navy continued to give its sailors a daily rum ration, known as a “tot,” until the practice was abolished after July 31, 1970.
- Rum was intimately involved in the only military takeover of an Australian government, known as the Rum Rebellion. William Bligh became governor of the colony, he attempted to remedy the perceived problem with drunkenness by outlawing the use of rum as a medium of exchange. In 1808, in response to Bligh’s policies, the New South Wales Corps marched with fixed bayonets, to Government House and placed Bligh under arrest.
The Anejo Highball is one of the great, new cocktails and it’s one that everyone should try and every bartender should know. It was created by Dale DeGroff, one of the masters of modern mixology, in 2000 as a tribute to Cuban bartenders of the early 1900’s. The Anejo (or old) rum really makes this drink, so it’s best not to skimp on that ingredient, or the orange curacao for that matter (if that isn’t available Cointreau is a worthy substitute). This is simply a great mixed drink, especially for summer or anytime you want a taste of the Caribbean.
- 1 1/2 oz Anejo rum
- 1/2 oz orange curacao
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 2 oz ginger beer
- lime wheel for garnish
- orange slice for garnish
- Build the rum, curacao, lime juice and bitters in a highball glass filled with ice.
- Top with ginger beer.
- Garnish with the orange and lime.
What I use:
- My favorite rum: Ron Barcelo Imperial. So so smooth
- Nellie and Joe Key West Lime Juice if you don’t feel like squeezing
- Grand Marnier for orange liquor
- Red Rock (pure can sugar) Ginger Ale, but any fine ginger ale will do.
Why the drink rocks:
- Refreshing perfect for summer.
- Not too sweet like those other girly rum drinks. I’m looking at you Pina Colada.
- Has ginger ale, bitters, and lime juice. Perfect combo for a sour stomach.
- I would also recommend this drink at an all inclusive resort if you are what I consider beach hungover. You know the feeling, you have eating like crap for days and drank like a sailor and every other drink is just too acidic or hurts. This drink will make your tummy all good.