Hey y’all from a rainy rainy rainy Atlanta!!! Whew! I certainly don’t want to complain as our flowers and yard love the extra love but my morning and evening commutes sure don’t love the extra water on the roads! It’s days like today where I am thankful for easy and healthy recipes that I can whip up in a jiffy!
Speaking of easy and healthy recipes, I was recently chatting with a friend who loves to bake yummy goodies but is learning to love the cooking side of the kitchen. She said that she finds it challenging to find recipes that don’t have a laundry list of ingredients and too many steps. I thought that this recipe for One Pot Spicy Beef Bowls would be a perfect one for both needs – easy/healthy and less than 10 ingredients. You could easily substitute the lean ground beef with ground chicken breast or ground turkey breast or even as a vegetarian/vegan offering with tofu.
Here you go y’all! Enjoy!!!
One Pot Spicy Beef Bowls
(Serves 4 if super hungry or 6 if pairing with a salad etc.)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90/10)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup salsa (we prefer HOT but you can use whatever flavor preference works best for you!)
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- Coat large skillet or stock pot with cooking spray. Add lean ground beef and cook until “just” browned.
- Add chopped red onion and cook until fragrant and almost translucent.
- Add cumin and chili powder and stir until ground beef is coated.
- Add quinoa, black beans and salsa and stir well.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer until quinoa is cooked through.
- Serve in bowls topped with fresh cilantro. We also added shredded cheddar and greek yogurt.