I LOVE Mexican food. LOVE! I also love to try and eat healthy and there the roads shall meet. Does that sound like a difficult undertaking? Not at all! I embrace the challenge of finding healthy alternatives and this is one of my favorites! (and one of my Dad’s favorites too by the way…) There’s no need to fry this yummy dish. Instead, bake until the tortilla’s are crisp and top with sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt like I do to add more protein and less fat).
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
(Recipe courtesy of weightwatchers.com)
|2 spray(s) cooking spray|
|1/2 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast|
|16 oz fat free canned refried beans|
|1 3/4 cup(s) fat free salsa|
|4 1/2 oz canned green chili peppers, mild, drained and diced|
|1 tsp chili powder|
|3 Tbsp uncooked scallion(s), thinly sliced|
|1 cup(s) shredded, reduced-fat, Monterey Jack cheese|
|8 item(s) (large) burrito-size wheat flour tortilla(s)|
|1 cup(s) fat free salsa|
|1/2 cup(s) fat free sour cream|
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Coat a 13- X 9- X 2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add turkey to skillet and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Drain any excess liquid from pan and then add beans, 1 3/4 cups of salsa, chili peppers, chili powder and scallions. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes; stir in cheese.
- Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil; warm in oven for 10 minutes.
- Assemble chimichangas by spooning about 1/2 cup of turkey mixture onto each tortilla; fold in sides and roll up.
- Place chimichangas, seam-side down, in prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until tortillas are crisp and browned, about 20 minutes. Serve each topped with 2 tablespoons of salsa and 1 tablespoon of sour cream.
As I mentioned earlier, I use plain Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream. Be sure to add chopped fresh cilantro or epazote on top for some extra flavor. I also like to make some fresh guacamole and salsa for extra flavor without a lot of extra calories.