As promised, our next feature recipe is a flavor filled dish courtesy of Weight Watchers, a Tomato and Pepper Lasagna. Our Hungry Southern Belle family celebrated Christmas Eve at home complete with the Whitlock family eggnog (another recipe soon to come!) and Christmas movies. We started the evening with a lovely and flavor filled family dinner featuring this delicious (and point friendly) lasagna. While this recipe does not include meat, you could easily add a protein of your choosing. To make it ever more colorful and yummy, I added a layer of fresh spinach. It got rave reviews from everyone and will definitely be a repeat dish! Enjoy y’all!
(recipe courtesy of WeightWatchers.com – 6 points per serving)
|24 oz store bought marinara sauce|
|1 cup(s) canned diced tomatoes, fire-roasted, drained|
|1 cup(s) part-skim ricotta cheese|
|1 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese|
|1 cup(s) shredded parmesan cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano suggested|
|1/4 cup(s) fat free egg substitute|
|1/4 tsp table salt|
|1/4 tsp black pepper|
|1/4 tsp dried oregano|
|6 item(s) uncooked lasagna noodles, regular or whole-wheat|
|1/2 cup(s) roasted red peppers (packed in water), water-packed, cut into thin strips|
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a small pot, combine marinara sauce and tomatoes; set over low heat and simmer for 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses; stir to combine. Stir in egg substitute, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Spoon 1 cup of sauce in bottom of an 11- X 7-inch glass baking dish. Arrange 2 lasagna noodles over sauce, down center of dish. Spread half of cheese mixture (about 1 cup) over noodles; top with pepper strips. Place 2 more noodles on top; spread with remaining cheese mixture. Top with 1 cup of marinara sauce; place remaining 2 lasagna noodles on top. Spoon remaining sauce over top and gently press down on lasagna.
- Cover dish loosely with aluminum foil; bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake until sauce is lightly browned and noodles are tender when tested with a knife, about 10 to 15 minutes more. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes to firm up slightly. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
- If you’re short on time, skip simmering the marinara sauce with the diced tomatoes.
Vary the color and flavor of this recipe by adding a layer of tender baby spinach leaves or spicy arugula leaves with the pepper strips (could affect PointsPlus values).