Good morning y’all from a chilly Atlanta and TGIF! As you might have gathered from past posts, Riche and I LOVE Mexican food. I am always on the lookout for healthier versions of some of the classic dishes that we love. So when I stumbled upon this recipe for Chicken Tacos on the Barre3 nutrition blog, I thought I’d give it a try. I am SO glad that I did. Riche and I both deemed this recipe to be a “repeat”…especially with some sriracha drizzled on top! The leftovers were even delicious the next day served as a cold salad minus the corn tortilla’s. Enjoy!
(recipe courtesy of Barre3)
Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Servings: 4 (serving = 2 tacos)
2 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. ground chicken
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup onions, diced
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. salt
1 can pinto beans, black beans, or kidney beans, drained
8 corn tortillas (in my pictures, I used a spinach/corn tortilla – also delicious)
1 cup cilantro, diced
Salsa of your choice
1 avocado, sliced
1/4 cup purple cabbage sliced
Feta cheese (optional)
1. Heat 1 tsp. olive in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Add chicken and stir until thoroughly cooked.
3. Scrape meat to one side of pan.
4. Add garlic and saute for 2 to 4 minutes.
5. Add onions and saute for 2 to 4 minutes.
6. Stir in oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt
7. Combine garlic, onions, and seasonings with cooked chicken.
8. Drain beans and heat in a separate skillet.
9. In separate skillet, heat ½ tsp. olive oil.
10. Heat each tortilla 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until the tortilla is noticeably puffier. Plate the hot tortillas.
11. Fill each tortilla with a small amount of meat.
12. Add a small amount of beans, and then top with cilantro, salsa, and 2-3 slices of avocado.
13. For an extra flavor punch, top each taco with sliced cabbage and a bit of feta cheese. (This is where we drizzled some sriracha on top for a little spice!)