TGIF y’all! As many of you know, this has been a long week for the Hungry Southern Belle house with dealing with the passing of one of our beloved bubbies, Winnie. During times like these, it’s so nice to have a “go to” cookbook that you love to make healthy meals even on the nights you might not normally feel like cooking. This salad was a refreshing and delicious treat and took no time at all to prepare for a quick dinner. You could even prep a number of the items (i.e. chicken, bacon, eggs etc.) over the weekend and have it all ready to go for during the week! This was the perfect salad with the combination of flavors and hearty ingredients. Enjoy y’all!
Cobb Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
(Serves 4 – recipe courtesy of Against All Grain)
For the Chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and pepper
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper
For the Salad:
- 2 cups baby romaine or spring mix
- 2 cups shredded romaine hearts
- 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 6 pieces of bacon, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
- Marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours, or overnight. (I only marinated the chicken for about 30 minutes and it still was delicious!)
- Grill each breast over medium heat until the thickest part reaches 170 degrees with a meat thermometer. Slice and set aside to cool for 5 minutes so the lettuce doesn’t wilt.
- Mix all of the dressing ingredients, except for the olive oil. In a constant, slow stream, begin to whisk in the oil until well incorporated.
- Combine the lettuces in a bowl.
- Slowly add the dressing over top, being careful not to overdress it (you may not use all that you made, just adjust to your tastes).
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and ground pepper over the top then toss to mix.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients and the sliced chicken.