Clearly we are on a soup kick at the Hungry Southern Belle house. The weather is perfect for this comforting treats and the lighter fare suits our healthy eating goals as well. I made this special little find last night and it is definitely a keeper! It certainly made more than the suggested 4 servings…in fact, I think a certain someone (*Riche wink wink*) went back for two or three helpings. With the amazing health properties of both the fresh beets and fresh ginger, I wasn’t going to complain about that! I paired the soup with a lovely fresh “power greens” salad and garnished the soup with a little bit of creamy goat cheese. All in all a huge winner! I look forward to making it closer to Christmas and add a lovely pop of green with some Italian parsley perhaps. Either way, I hope that y’all enjoy it as much as we did!!!
Beet Ginger Coconut Soup
(Serves 4 – recipe courtesy of barre3)
1 tbsp coconut oil
3 large purple beets, scrubbed clean and cut into ¼-inch pieces
14.5-ounce can white cannellini beans
1 tbsp ginger, minced
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
Dash of cayenne pepper
Dash of red pepper flakes
1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
4-5 cups veggie stock
salt and pepper, to taste
4 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- In a large soup pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beets, beans, garlic, and ginger. Cook for about 3-5 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add 4 cups of veggie stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Add cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Make sure beets are fork tender, and then puree the soup with an immersion or countertop blender.
- Add more stock or water if soup is too thick. Stir in the coconut milk.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm, topped with sesame seeds, and enjoy.