Well a very Happy New Year to our Hungry Southern Belle fans! It has been quite the holiday season as I’m sure you can imagine from our seemingly long absence from posting. Don’t you fret though! We’ve been testing lots of new recipes and have lots of yummy plans for the new year. We even got a Big Green Egg from my parents for Christmas, so be on the lookout for some fun new concoctions! I certainly can’t forget my fabulous new toy from Riche… the professional series Ninja Ultima which not only competes with the Vitamix but beats it in several categories!!!! There will be lots of new dishes put to the test!
I’ve just started the newest barre3 challenge!!! We are day 4 into it and I’m feeling as good as ever! I tried out a new barre3 recipe that was fantastic! Hearty, healthy and YUMMY! It is packed with protein and fiber, so it will definitely keep you satiated for a while! I think you’ll love it as much as we did! Enjoy y’all!!!
Ground Turkey and Kale Quinoa with Almond Coconut Sauce
(Serves 4 – recipe courtesy of barre3)
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water or chicken broth
1 sweet potato, cubed
2 beets, cubed
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
1 tsp. dried oregano or 1 Tbs. fresh
1 tsp. dried basil or 2 Tbs. fresh
Sea salt, to taste
Ground pepper, to taste
1 bunch kale, rinsed and chopped
1/4 cup almond butter
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. maple syrup
3 Tbs. coconut milk
- Rinse quinoa and place in pot or rice cooker and cover with 2 cups of water or chicken broth. Bring to boil, cover, and simmer 12-15 minutes until tender. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Place sweet potato and beets in a large pot with water, bring to boil, steam, and remove vegetables from heat when tender.
- Heat oil in large skillet, add onion and garlic, and saute for 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add meat and spices to pan and heat until meat is thoroughly cooked. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- While meat is cooking, whisk together last four ingredients (almond butter, lemon juice, maple syrup, and coconut milk).
- Combine cooked quinoa, sweet potatoes, chopped kale, and sausage mixture in a big pot. Stir to combine. The heat of the mixture will steam the kale.
- Serve hot or cold, and top with almond-butter sauce or nut butter, seeds, and dried fruit. Enjoy!
*Instead of sauce, you can top with nut butter, seeds, dried fruit, and a drizzle of honey.