Good morning y’all from this Hungry Southern Belle. We had a fabulous weekend filled with lots of fun celebrations and time spent with both old and new friends alike! After a super busy weekend, I was really looking forward to trying this new recipe for Paella with Zucchini, Shrimp and Chicken Sausages for our weekly family dinner. To say that it was a huge hit would be an understatement! The flavors from the fresh veggies (tomatoes, zucchini and onions) combined with the heat of the spicy chicken sausage and the sweetness of the fresh, wild caught shrimp was the perfect balance for the creaminess of the arborio rice. I look forward to trying out some different proteins and veggie combo’s with this recipe in the future. Paired with a full bodied red wine and some crusty bread and you have an instant hit! Enjoy y’all!
Paella with Zucchini, Shrimp and Chicken Sausages
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 links chicken sausages, sliced (I used spicy chicken sausages)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 12 extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 pinches coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil slivers, for garnish
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 lemon, for the juice
- In a small food processor, blitz the tomatoes until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a paella pan, or a large straight-sided pan. Add the chicken sausages and cook until browned on both sides, 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the onions and sauté 3 minutes, or until they start to soften. Add the garlic and smoked paprika, bloom 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and toss to coat with the onions. Toast 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and pureed tomatoes. Stir to combine. Arrange the zucchini slices on top of the rice, season with salt and pepper, cover the lid and simmer on medium for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the chicken sausages (their accumulated juices) and shrimp to the pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, cover and simmer 3 more minutes, until shrimp is opaque.
- You should have a slight crust on the bottom. Lightly toss everything together. Spritz with fresh lemon juice and basil slivers. Serve immediately.