Good morning from a hot and humid Atlanta! You might be asking why in the world this Hungry Southern Belle would be testing out a recipe for soup but I couldn’t resist! Summer asparagus is plentiful and fresh at all of the markets. This recipe is the perfect combination of fresh summer asparagus with hearty beans, to create a delicious and simple soup that is also satisfying for a perfect summer evening. It would even be delicious served chilled the next day for a light lunch! Enjoy y’all!
(Serves 4 – recipe courtesy of barre3)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 cups vegetable stock, more if soup is too thick
14.5-ounce can of organic navy beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Parsley, for garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and asparagus and cook for about 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add veggie stock and beans. Bring to a light boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion or countertop blender. If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock or water.
- Stir in the lemon juice, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Serve warm with parsley sprinkled on top