Good morning! As I mentioned previously, the last couple of weeks have been hectic in the Hungry Southern Belle house. Riche was a doll to help in the evenings during the past week before I left out of town since I was doing back to back barre3 classes after work. This was a new recipe (courtesy of barre3 I wanted to try out and he had it all prepared for when I got home! *insert awwww here* The only variation we took on the original recipe was that we used an organic andouille cajun chicken sausage in place of the wild smoked salmon. We love salmon but had the chicken sausage on hand. Riche cut up two of the sausages and put them in place of the salmon. Delish! This made a fantastic dinner but also was great as a quick and healthy breakfast the next morning. Bonus! I really think y’all will love this one too! Enjoy!
(Serves 4 – recipe courtesy of barre3)
4 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, sliced
4 oz. wild smoked salmon, shredded into 1-inch pieces
3 Tbs. chopped fresh chives, plus 1 Tbs. to sprinkle on top when serving
4 Tbs. whole milk or milk substitute
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 oz. cream cheese, cubed (optional)
1 sliced avocado (optional)
leafy greens or side salad
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the center.
- Heat olive oil in an 8-inch oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook while stirring for 1 minute. Add chopped zucchini and cook until zucchini is tender. Add salmon and chives and stir for one minute to blend flavors.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until well blended.
- Pour the egg mixture over the zucchini and salmon mixture in the pan.
- Gently drop the cubes of cream cheese into the pan, arranging in a circle.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until browned and puffed. Flip onto a serving plate and cut into wedges.
- Serve topped with avocado slices and remaining chopped chives, along with a side of fresh greens.