Howdy from the Hungry Southern Belle house! It’s getting hot here in Atlanta but the temps were chilly last week. You know how we love our hearty soups when the tips dip down low! I found this FODMAP friendly recipe for a delicious Italian Wedding Soup and wanted to share with all of you. This isn’t a fancy recipe but super easy and quite tasty! Simply put…a hearty meatball soup with greens. This is great prepared for a week night dinner and then perfect for leftovers throughout the week. Enjoy y’all!
Italian Wedding Soup
- 12 ounces ground turkey or beef
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic-infused olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 4 cups Swiss chard, chopped
- Combine ground meat, egg, oats, Parmesan cheese, and basil in a mixing bowl. Form into 1″ balls, using your hands or a small scoop.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until fragrant. Brown the meatballs and drain excess fat.
- In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Stir in the carrots, meatballs and rice. Cover the pot and simmer until both carrots and rice are tender. Add the Swiss chard and cook briefly until leaves are wilted. Add salt and pepper, if desired.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese.