Craving an Asian inspired dish but without all the calories and oil from a traditional Chinese restaurant? Love PF Chang’s lettuce wraps? This recipe is for you! In addition, you can try out a unique but delicious vegetable…the kohlrabi? It’s a member of the kale and broccoli family, and like its “relatives,” it has anti-hormonal cancer properties and helps metabolize inflammatory estrogen metabolites to reduce PMS pain. It is so yummy in these perfect Spring or Summer night “wraps”! Enjoy y’all!
Pork or Turkey Lettuce Wraps with Tamari-Ginger Sauce
1 large head of lettuce (torn into individual large leaves)
1 Tbs. peanut oil (or oil of your choice)
1 medium kohlrabi, leaves removed and finely chopped
1-2 large carrots, finely chopped
1 large bunch of scallions, diced (white and light green parts only)
1 bunch of cilantro, stems removed and chopped
1 lb. ground pork or turkey
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup low-sodium tamari (gluten-free)
1/4 cup water
1-2 Tbs. fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbs. honey
1 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
2 tsp. sesame oil
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- To make the Tamari-Ginger Sauce, whisk together last eight ingredients (garlic, tamari, water, ginger, honey, vinegar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes), and set aside. This works well with an immersion blender.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add peanut oil.
- Add scallions and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add carrots and kohlrabi. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add pork or turkey and stir-fry until cooked through, about 5-8 minutes.
- Slowly drizzle in Tamari-Ginger Sauce (reserve any leftover sauce for dipping, or refrigerate for up to a week).
- Scoop a healthy portion of pork mixture into each lettuce leaf. Add chopped cilantro and enjoy!
*Use this recipe as a guide. Taste test as you go, and adjust measurements and ingredients as needed.